Civitella Ranieri Castle

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
At Umbertide, in a panoramic position on the Assino valley, it is situated the castle of Civitella Ranieri. The Castle is called in this way from the name of the citadel that Umberto's son Raniero, brother of William, Duke of Monferrato, built at that place in 1078.

The facade of the complex is dominated by the two lateral cylindrical towers and is characterized, as well as other parts of the Castle, by slender brackets that hide inside a walkway once aimed at the patrol. Instead in the northeastern side it is the square keep.
Behind the castle is the courtyard which is accessed through three doors placed on the back of the building. The central door is embellished with a stair with a fan form and an arch of sandstone ashlar. The buildings that look out on the other sides of the courtyard almost form a single body with the form as C and they are the result of successive additions, as well as the eighteenth-century church located on the corner the northwest. A park almost completely embraces the complex starting from the south side (where perhaps once was placed also another garden), until the larger area to the north in which there is a dense forest. Along the straight road that climbs the hill to the castle, then finally you reach the exterior surrounding wall with the center the mighty entrance tower opened in an arc. From the arc start two divergent paths that cross the simple garden-court of honor square, entirely surrounded by service buildings. The ancient fortress of the eleventh century remains very little, only the input side of the outer wall. What you see today is in fact the Renaissance military completely rebuilt in the XV century. In 1492 infact the previous building had been destroyed during the struggles between the Oddi and Baglioni for supremacy in the territory of Perugia. Some changes occurred in the following centuries, as the addition of the eighteenth-century church dedicated to St. Christopher, replacing the oldest front of the castle.