The Formina Aqueduct - The Formina Aqueduct
The Roman aqueduct known as Formina is an extensive network of narrow tunnels and galleries built at the behest of Emperor Tiberius in the first century C.E. and which carried water to the town of Narni and all of the surrounding area for many centuries.
It was still in use until 1924, and is some 13 km long with a perfectly constant slope.
The Cardona Bridge, which is along its path, has been declared the Centre of Italy by the Military Geographical Institute as it is equidistant from the north and south, and the east and west of the country.
The Formina aqueduct can be explored along a 700 m long tunnel with an average width of from 45 to 50 cm and height of from 170 to 120 cm. Its ceiling is graced with snow-white stalactites and it ends in an 18 m deep well carved into the stone earth from where, via a steep spiral staircase, one resurfaces.