Calvi dell'Umbria

Monastero Museo delle Orsoline

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
Opened to the public since 2002, the museum is housed in the monastery held by the Ursulines since the first half of the eighteenth century.
The monastery was formed by merging the five-hundred years Palazzo dei Nobili Ferrini with two churches merged with a monumental face designed by Ferdinando Fuga and with a purposebuilt for the monastery by the same Fuga from 1739. The destination at the museum, as well as having resulted in the recovery of these buildings, considered among the most interesting episodes of Italian architecture of the eighteenth century, now allows the access of very evocative monastic life environments, such as the ancient kitchens designed by Fuga, the wash, the apothecary, the cemetery area, the crypt with a group of well-preserved mummies, the garden and the lovely garden. The art collection presents materials confiscated by religious organizations from the newborn Italian State and works formerly belonging to the monastery. These objects are mostly due to the figurative southern Umbria and Roman culture of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and appear highly indicative of the particular situation of Calvi as a place of hinge among Umbria, Rome, Northern Lazio and Abruzzo. Local production is in the paintings of Mannerist Rinaldo da Calvi, Calisto Calisti and Nerocci di San Gemini. The works by Agostino Masucci(one of the most important representatives of the new artistic course started by Carlo Maratta), are expression of the roman infuence, as well as the main altarpiece of the church of Santa Brigida attributed to the Marches Francesco Appiani. In the church of Sant'Antonio the monumental Adorazione dei Magi, in 1546 made by Giovanni and Raffaele da Montereale, formed of thirty life-size terracotta figures, is the evidence of the relations with the Abruzzo.