Spello

Palazzo Baglioni - Spello

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 126 - 06034 Foligno
info@iat.foligno.pg.it
The Baglioni Palace is located in the Repubblica Square, in the Spello’s historical centre, between the town hall and the church of St. Andrew.
The building was raised for the will of Adriano Baglioni, lord of Spello, in 1561 and designed by Battaglia di Pietro and Filippo di Giacomo. The palace incorporates part of the ancient Albornoz fortress (1358) in turn built above the seat of the Oratory of the Raccomondati of Santa Maria della Misericordia. The Baglioni family lived there for few years, in 1583 the palace was occupied by the apostolic Governor until 1860 when the city returned under the strict control of the Papal State.
Severely damaged by the earthquake of 1832 it has been restored in the 1970s in order to host the State Middle School. Nowadays almost nothing is left of the Baglioni’s ancient building: along the road of the Old Seminar it’s possible to see stratified construction elements that show the different construction stages.
The interior has been heavily transformed so that it can be used as school building; nevertheless on the first floor, in the Governor’s hall, there’s still the ceiling decoration made of painted tiles and a large border running along the walls with female figures and views over the Umbrian valley (16th century).