Terni

Lago di Piediluco

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
info@iat.terni.it
The Lake of Piediluco, located at the south-east foothills of Umbria, with a branch bordering into the Lazio Region, can be considered the biggest natural lake basin of the region after the Trasimeno Lake.
It seems that the name can be interpreted as “at the foot of the sacred wood”. Together with the lakes Lungo, di Ripasottile and di Ventina located in the province of Rieti, it represents one of the remains of the Lacus Vleinus, a big basin of alluvial origin that was formed from the Quaternary. 
Provided with an irregular shape and a perimeter of about 13 kilometres, the lake is located at an altitude of 375 metres, with a maximum depth of 19 metres. Its natural tributary is the Rio Natural Twig, the other two tributaries are instead represented by artificial channels one connecting it to the River Velino and the other one conveying to the lake a portion of water derived instead from the River Nera, long 42 kilometres. The emissary, namely the River Velino, is diverted towards the Marmore where it joins the River Nera so to form the Marmore Waterfall.
The lake that is incredibly beautiful represented for many artists a required stop of the Gran Tour, so called in 1670 by the priest and writer Richard Lassels, author of An Italian Voyage. Famous are the oil paintings made in 1826 by the French painter Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot having as subject his scenery. The fish fauna is also very abundant: according to a study of 2010 the fish species populating the lake of Piediluco are 15, and 8 of them are non-native.
The lack of currents and the presence of relatively regular winds make the lake an excellent competition field for national and international regattas of boat racing.