Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta - Otricoli
The excavations carried out in 2004 have unearthed under his left side, a section of wall in square work belonging to an ancient place of worship. The early centuries of its history testifies to the Roman opus technical mixtum visible both on the external walls of the inner ones; the building, changed and restored in different periods (centuries IX-XII-XIV-XVI and XIX), in its present form, is presented with a rectangular plan divided into three naves. The nave, which is accessed by an entrance above which there are the choir and the organ of Renaissance origin, is characterized by the presence of St. Medical Crypt (underground ancient, former monks retreat, complete with authentic Baroque altar) and a particular area of the presbytery. In the top center of the apse wall, it is located an artistic and impressive stained glass (by the contemporary painter Roberto Maurini of Otricoli) below which, arranged in a horseshoe, is adorned with a valuable wooden choir of 1400 inlays. The main altar of the Umbrian school (XII-XIII sec.) Is characterized by a beautiful 1500's marble ciborium whose columns consist of Roman origin of recycled materials; at the foot of the Fenestrella Confessions. On either side of the nave are two smaller side aisles in which are wedged four baroque chapels and a smaller chapel in the left aisle. The right aisle is characterized by the presence of two recently restored baroque chapels (dedicated respectively to St. Fulgenzio and St. Dominic) and a baptistery. Of particular artistic importance a wooden cabinet with emblems embossed, faux gold marble of 1717 (found in the chapel of San Fulgenzio) and a fresco (representing San Fulgenzio bishop who distributes bread to the poor of Otricoli) at the nearby Chapel San Domenico. Just facing the right aisle there is the marble baptismal font, the sixteenth century. on which the right wall there is a gothic Eucharistic tabernacle in marble with wooden door. The left nave is characterized by the presence of two baroque chapels, from a chapel dedicated to Sant’Antonio Abate and a "passing the chapel" Our Lady of Sorrows; Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, formerly of Santa Lucia then SS.mo the Crucifix, of particular importance the frescoes, the first half of the XVI sec., and the dove of the Holy Spirit in polychrome stucco, recently brought to light. The Chapel of the SS. Sacramento originally Gothic looks like the copy, in small size, dell'anticappella of SS. Sacramento Carlo Ma
derno in the Vatican; the vault, dome with skylight, is frescoed with Vision of Saint John in Patos, the Angel Fire. The second main chapel, however, decorated in the seventeenth century, has an altar shrine and 16 frescos finely decorated with stucco and gold sequin frames depicting the mysteries of the Holy Rosary and some episodes of the life of the Virgin.