Chiesa Ottagonale Santa Maria della Reggia - Umbertide
The church of Santa Maria della Reggia is in Umbertide at Piazza Mazzini, past the bridge over the river Palace.
It 'a majestic octagonal building outside and inside circular begun in 1559 by Galeazzo Alessi project and Giulio Danti, continued by Bino Sozi and concluded by Bernardino Sermigni in 1663. Sixteen detached from the wall columns support the entablature on which the dome rests of 40 m in height. Behind the high altar is a fifteenth-century fresco depicting the influence of Gubbio Madonna with Child and two Saints; above the organ gallery it is instead the Transfiguration of Nicholas Circignani, signed and dated (1578).
Tastes and flavours