Church of San Francesco
The bell tower, destroyed because of an earthquake, was rebuilt in 1452.
The interior of the church has a single nave and it was completely rebuilt in Baroque style between 1707 and 1727. The stucchi are by Antonio Milli, while the ceiling medallions, representing St. Francis , St. Anthony and St. Joseph of Cupertino, are by Lucantonio Angiolucci from Città di Castello.
Entering the church, at the bottom left it is the Chapel Calves built towards the middle of 1500 created by Giorgio Vasari on commission of the Marquise Gentilina Della Staffa Vitelli, mother of Paul and Chiappino, buried here with Nicholas Vitelli the "Father of the Nation ", who died on January 6 1486. The large panel depicting the "Coronation of the Virgin" is by the Vasari.
On the sides of the chapel there are the stalls of a finely carved and drawn in ink choir attribute to local artists of XVI century. They performed on drawings left by Raffaello. The wrought iron gate is the work of master Peter Ercolano of Città di Castello in 1567. Also on the left is a school terracotta "Della Robbia" of "St. Francis receiving the stigmata"; in front of the painting of the "Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew," by Giovan Battista Pacetti, known as "The Sguazzino",l born in Città di Castello in 1593.
On the altar of St. Joseph, belonged to Albizzini family, where there is now a copy, it was the "Marriage of the Virgin" painted by Raphael in 1504.
In 1798 it was abducted by General Lechi, the commander of Napoleon's troops. Since 1805 it is placed in the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan. In the church it was preserved, also a painting by Luca Signorelli "The Adoration of the Shepherds" at the National Gallery "in London.
The high altar, monolithic of the fourteenth century. It is attributed to the Blessed James friar marble worker. At the Apse it's situated a beautiful walnut choir of the eighteenth century.
In the apse, above the choir stalls, it was placed in 1763 a large mechanical organ still used for performing concerts.