Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
Sigillo was already inhabited by Umbrians when the Romans came and made it one of their municipalities. After the fall of the Empire, the town was destroyed by Totila (552) and then rebuilt by the Longobards, who included it in their Duchy of Spoleto. In the Middle Ages it was conquered several times, sacked, destroyed and rebuilt once again until, in the 15th century, it was taken into the Papal States. It remained under Church dominion until the Unification of Italy in 1860.


Most of the art work of Sigillo can be found in church buildings: the Church of Sant'Andrea was built on the remains of an older church and has a single Neo-Renaissance nave, the Church of Sant'Agostino was built between 1788 and 1791 by Swiss architect Giacomo Cantoni on the remains of what was once the Church of Santa Caterina, of which only the medieval crypt remains, the Church of Sant'Anna is near the cemetery and built along the Via Flaminia in the mid-1400s, and then there is the Church of the Augustinian Monks. The former Church of San Giuseppe is worthy of note for the important paintings it houses and the frescoed vaulted ceiling dating to the 1930s. The Palazzo Comunale is on the main piazza and was built in the 12th century. Today it houses the city archives.

Worth a visit outside of town are the remains of a substantial Roman bridge known as the "Spiano" and the Church of Santa Maria Assunta (13th century) at Villa Scirca, one of the three oldest in Sigillo and home to frescoes done by the painter Matteo da Gualdo (1484).

The nature in the area surrounding is the real treasure of Sigillo and has made nearby Mt. Cucco Park the ideal destination for outdoor sports lovers, above all for hang-gliding and paragliding.