The Village of Pupaggi along the via della spina
The splendid fortified village of Pupaggi, in the municipality of Sellano, is an enchanted place that has remained unchanged over time. It developed during the 14th century, around a pre-existing medieval nucleus, consisting of a church and a dovecote tower. Because of its natural beauty, the Pupaggi area is part of a Site of Community Importance.
In 1611 the population was 125 inhabitants, which had declined to 72 in 1713; today there are fewer than 50 permanent residents. According to legend, the name of Pupaggi originated in memory of the noble and beautiful Pupa, a local young maiden. She was so beautiful that the noble feudal lords of the neighbouring areas waged bloody battles to win her. However, the lady's true love was hidden by the inhabitants inside the highest tower, so as to protect their romance forever. The bloody clashes are still recounted between myth and legend, by the old local shepherds.