Cerreto di Spoleto
Santuario Madonna della Stella - Cerreto di Spoleto
The church of Santa Croce (nowadays Sanctuary of the “Madonna della Stella”) is located in the Walnut Valley, isolated in the agricultural context, and not far from the village of Cerreto of Spoleto. The current building, built on a primitive chapel of the eighth century, dates back to 1308.
According to tradition, the chapel originally belonged to the Farfa Abbey, later moved on to the San Pietro in Valle Abbey; the monks settled there and they dedicated the oratory to St Benedict. In 1294 the oratory and the monastery passed to the Lateran Chapter. The fourteenth century church was born as a hermitage for monks of St. Augustine. The construction was made by digging into the rock, as well as the refectory and monastic cells. The interior has a single nave, fourteenth century frescoes, one of them depicting the Blessed Simone Fidati. The entire complex was abandoned in 1652 and poured in very bad conditions until 1833, when, restored as a result of miraculous episodes, it became known as the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella. The sanctuary was opened to worship the first Sunday of May to the first Sunday in June (during the Marian month). In this period the processions from neighboring countries flocked there. Element of veneration was the bloodied stone; according to the oral tradition, the stone broke away from the vault of the cave and struck a pilgrim who remained unscathed. In the sanctuary the clothes of miraculous survivors were exposed as a sign of grace received.
In the surrounding area
You might also like