Castiglione del Lago

Sanctuary of Madonna della Carraia

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Gramsci 1 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The Sanctuary of Madonna della Carraia, located along the street connecting the towns of Panicarola and Carraia, was built in the second half of the 17th century. 

The miraculous event that gave origin to the devotion is dated around 1659 and in 1660 the bishop of Città della Pieve, then his own diocese, Monsignor Lucarini Reginaldo gave the permission to build the church on the site where a sacred news-stand with the image of the Virgin stood. The building, that has a Greek cross plant, brick pillars and gables of Serena stone with a 19th century dome and and a fan-shaped bell tower, was completed in 1835 by Giovanni Caproni.