The Rocca Paolina
La rocca Paolina si trova all'interno del centro storico di Perugia ed è possibile accedervi da porta Marzia o attraverso le scale mobili che collegano piazza Italia con piazza Parigiani.
A symbol of Papal power, it was built at the behest of Paul III Farnese (1540 -1543) who was victorious in the Salt War the Perugini had waged against him. The design of the fortress was by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, the most celebrated military architect of his times, and called for the destruction of what was then a quarter of the city that included the homes of the powerful Baglioni family. The fortresses was composed of two separate forts: an upper one on Landone hill, and a lower one on the plains known as Tenaglia, connected to the former via three fortified footpaths.
The Perugini always hated them and right after the annexation of Perugia to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860, the above ground parts of the structures were razed.
The underground Rocca Paolina is open to the public when the escalators that connect Piazza Partigiani to Piazza Italia are, that is, every day from 06:15 to 01:45. Some of the rooms within the fortress are now home to exhibition centres (like the CERP, the Rocca Paolina Exhibition Centre), used during exhibits and events, and the Rocca Paolina Museum, which traces some of the history of this magnificent old landmark.