Lugnano in Teverina

Palazzo Pennone - Lugnano in Teverina

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Augusto Vera - 05022 Amelia
The building, curiously cut into two parts by the gallery with the same name, has a rectangular plant and extends on three floors.
The corners of the Palace, the balustrades and the ashlar of the portals are made of travertine. The building is famous as Palace Ridolfi – Farnese, who were cardinals and governors of Lugnano. The name Pennone seems to refer to the inspiring picture of a ship’s flagpole (pennon). As the Lugnano’s highest point, the palace towers above the village.
It was built approximately in 1650, probably on the site of the ancient townhall, of the St. Peter’s Church and the Chancellery. Actually, the name derives from Antonio Pennoni, the first owner or commissioner of the Palace. It became later property of the family Vannicelli, of which it preserves, above the well, a wrought-iron emblem. Until the 18th century it has been residence of the Governor of the Apostolic See, later on it was respectively barn, mill, breeding centre of silkworms until falling into complete disuse. Recently it has been renovated and today it hosts the Town Hall.