Eremo di Santa Illuminata - Guardea
A few miles up south of Guardea, not far from the state road 205 amerina, surrounded by oak trees and large boulders, there are the remains of the church and convent of St. Illuminata.
Tradition holds that the complex was founded in 1007 by San Romuald, tutor of the Camaldolese, but after 200 years it was given to the Franciscans. The same San Francesco stayed there several times, sleeping in a cave not far above a travertine rock, still the subject of worship. Here they lived and died many friars, some of which reached the honors of the altar; the most famous was the Pascuccio Beato who performed many miracles and whose mortal remains are revered by the people in the parish church. In 1653 the decadence of the church and the convent S.Illuminata began when Pope Innocent X incorporated his property to the parish of St. Maria dell'Olmo Amelia. In 1869 the church was deemed unsafe, and ever since no more mass was celebrated there.
In the surrounding area