Città della Pieve
Palazzo della Corgna - Città della Pieve
The Palazzo della Corgna is the most important Città della Pieve nobles’ homes.
Built in the town center, in Piazza Gramsci, in front of the Cathedral, it is the mirror of the Corgna family’s political and economic fortunes. The construction of the building began around the fifties, sixties of the sixteenth century by the architect Galeazzo Alessi commissioned by Ascanio della Corgna, incorporating the the Baglioni family’s hunting palace converted from old houses medieval towers. In 1550 Ascanio was indicated by his uncle Julius II as perpetual governor of Castel della Pieve, the ancient name of Città della Pieve, and he managed to keep the palace until the year of his death, 1571. Historical sources testify that it was provided also by a beautiful garden of which little remains today. Currently it’s a municipal property which has been restored both in the building structure that in the apparatus decorative. All the decorations in relief of the facade are made of stone and show clear signs of degradation, because of the unresistant external material. About the inside both the vaults of the rooms that the stairs are covered with frescoes. On the first floor, where there are the reception rooms and the apartment of Ascanio della Corgna, the vaults are frescoes on Concert Muse by Niccolò Circignani, the Pomarancio ,in the 1564. On the ground floor that served as part of the "secret" of the building, usually used as a place of intellectual entertainment, painted by Salvio Savini, it’s supposed to be depicted by the same author of the Banquet of the Gods. Currently the building along with the oratory of Santa Maria dei Bianchi, to St. Peter's church and the church of Santa Maria dei Servi is part of the Circuit Museum Open citizen. Inside the palace there is the municipal library "Francesco Melosio
In the surrounding area
You might also like