Monteleone d'Orvieto

The Parish Church of SS. Apostoli Pietro e Paolo

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
info@iat.orvieto.tr.it
It was the center of life of the first nucleus of the castle of Monteleone di Orvieto; front and side had a porch, whose testimony is still legible on the wall of the north side. Next to the wall it was the cemetery.

Originally the church had a single nave on which there were four chapels; behind the main altar it was placed a choir. Over the centuries the church has undergone successive extensions and various transformations until reaching the current structure; in particular between 1815 and 1821 they were built the facade and the bell tower of bricks. Materials for building were taken from local furnaces. In the bell tower there are four bells: the largest, to the north, has a beautiful harmonious stamp and a majestic tone: is the "Campanone". The side chapels have been eliminated and the church has three naves today. The altarpiece is work by the school of Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino (Città della Pieve Fontignano 1445- 1523), the famous master of the Umbrian Renaissance painting. The table shows the Madonna with Child, flanked by the Apostles Pietro e Paolo, recognizable by the attributes: the keys, the sword and the book; in the lunette Gesù rising from the tomb with angels at the sides. Guardabassi (1872) attributes the work to Pietro Vannucci; Gnoli (1923) instead proposed the name of Giacomo di Guglielmo from Città della Pieve, who collaborated in all the works of Perugino performed in his hometown after 1510. Instead of the old choir is the apse below which the crypt which houses the body of St. Teodoro Martire. The crypt was decorated during the thirties by prof. Guglielmo Ascanio; during the 50s it was that the church acquired its present appearance: it was raised, were opened at the top of the large windows that provide abundant light and then was entirely decorated. The current flooring was made in the eighties. The altar dedicated to the Annunciation is placed to the left of the main altar, while to the right there is the Chapel of the Sacred Heart, commissioned by the Community to celebrate the longawaited end of the Second World War.

 

 

[Source: www.comune.monteleone.tr.it]