Scheggino

Chiesa di San Nicola - Scheggino

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Garibaldi 1 - 06043 Cascia
info@iat.cascia.pg.it
The Church of St. Nicholas Context: urban Dating: XIII CENTURY The church of San Nicola, or Nicolò, patron of the city, is situated in the historic center, near Scheggino.
The title and the cult of San Nicola of Myra was led by hermits from the East Syrians. It was the first early Christian oratory. In the XII century it was enlarged in Romanesque style with the expansion of the castle walls to the river. In the 1210 the church was dependent on Sassovivo Benedictine. The church became parish church in the 1446. It was enlarged and restored by the guild of master masons Lombard between 1509-1521. The entrance to the church is preceded by a large portico. "Let every worry if you go to pray," is written on the summer beam. Inside, with three naves, the frescoes of the apse attribuible to the circle of Giovanni Lo Spagna, the “Coronation of Mary with Saints” and a crib, need restorations interventions.  The Castle of Scheggino wanted to paint the coronation of the Assumption in the apse, as in Spoleto Cathedral, as homage to Spoleto and proof of his loyalty. In the Chapel of the Rosary, on the left of the high altar there is a canvas signed and dated, Guidobaldo Abbatini 1664, representing the Madonna of the Rosary and Saints.