Monte Castello di Vibio
Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo
The Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo is at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, the main square of Monte Castello di Vibio.
In 1851 it was built, thanks the funding of Gregory XVI and Pius IX, on the site where once it was a previous smaller church. The neoclassical style building has a very simple facade with a semicircular window recently completed with stained glass. The church has a rectangular plan divided into three naves ending in semi-circular apses. Remarkable are the frescoes of the vault, the walls and pillars created by the artist Nicola Perugia Benvenuti and his brother Federico. At the center of the presbytery it is situated the imposing main altar flanked by statues of San Filippo and San Giacomo, and dominated by the miraculous image of Madonna of Portenti. Remarkable they are also the baptismal font and the sacred olea with patterns and finely carved figures and the so-called Holy Arm in silver, on which they are threaded ring and bracelet, relics of Santi Filippo e Giacomo.
In the surrounding area