The residence of the Podestà occupied several adjacent rooms, facing the nearby Piazza Garibaldi, which were connected to the main body in 1228.
It soon became inadequate for the needs of the Council, and as early as the middle of the 13th century, the Palazzo was raised by one floor and the entrance was moved to its current location. In 1267, the Podestà Pandolfo Savelli had the majestic staircase built, which enabled access to the first floor of both buildings, where the council chambers were located. In 1523, the belltower overlooking Piazza Garibaldi was built, while at the beginning of the 20th century, Giuseppe Sacconi and Getulio Castillo restored the whole building by adding the crown of merlons.
The facade onto the main square, in Gothic style, is characterised by a low portico and two orders of lancet windows. A 17th century walkway joins the Palazzo del Popolo and the Palazzo del Capitano, the top floor of which houses the Pinacoteca Civic Museum, refurbished and reopened to the public in 1997. The civic collections, organised into into various sections, tell the thousand-year history of the city of Todi.
Accessibility – The Civic Museum of Todi
The Museum is reachable with public transportation: the nearest bus stop of the line C, connecting the railway station to the historical centre, is located in Piazza Jacopone, about 120 metres from the museum’s entrance. For those using their own vehicles, Piazza del Popolo is located within the ZTL (LIMITED TRAFFIC ZONE) where you can access just if you are in possession of a disabled permit. There are car parks reserved for disabled in the adjacent Piazza Garibaldi; in the event they were occupied, it’s possible to park in those reserved for residents (white and yellow stripes).
If all car parks are full it’s also possible to park directly in Piazza del Popolo, but not when it’s pedestrian area. The Museum is accessible by people with motor difficulties or who need a wheelchair, except for the big hall hosting the Sections from the 4th to the 8th of the Urban Museum. The access to guide dogs is allowed to facilitate the visit by people with impaired sight or blind. Audio guides are not available and there are neither captions nor braille or raised information forms.