Palazzo Altieri, ancient seat of bishops and famous for its gardens, is located in the center of Fratta Todina.
Palazzo Altieri, ancient seat of bishops and famous for its gardens, is located in the center of Fratta Todina. In the second half of the sixteenth century it was built by Bishop Angelo Cesi. From 1643 to 1654 the cardinal Altieri exalted its beauty through expanding and enriching gardens with magnificent and imaginative water features, buildings and fountains designed by the architect Ludwig Gattelli with daring works of hydraulic engineering. The courtyard has two sides to the porch, a loggia with stucco decorations and a magnificent balcony on large shelves, which opens onto the garden. Under the balcony stands the fountain of the episcopal palace. Inside it houses a gallery with the Roman school frescoes depicting biblical scenes. Currently it is the seat of the congregation “Ancelle dell’Amore Misericordioso" and it can be visited on request. The Hope Center is a rehabilitation service for children, teenagers and adults with disabilities difficulties in neuropsychological development from birth. Over the last twenty years, this has undergone structural changes in order to make it suitable, in accordance with applicable laws.
In the surrounding area
You might also like