Castello di Poggio - Valtopina
Castello di Poggio (XI century), was once the seat of the Viscount of Topino valley and the town hall until 1867.
From the year 1000 we start to know something about the Poggio castle, although news of a certain trust go back only to the second half of the thirteenth century when it was subjected to Perugia. Since the first centuries of the second millennium, it was the seat of the Visconti, county, Universitas and it included a vast territory including several castles, churches, monasteries, and all the small towns in the area. The imposing tower still in a very good condition of preservation, housed the local municipal administration, the wharehouse of Monte Frumentario as well as the "guard" and the prison. The underlying Casa Coccia build-up area, constituted the "Borgo". In the early fourteenth century, with the advent of Trinci, the fortress came under their domination. In 1338 lord Conrad was the Lord, while in 1383 was told that Conrad II surely confirmed Ser Bartolomeo of Ser Angelo da Giano, vicar of Valtopina, Stazzano and Balciano. In 1392 Ugolino III became vicar, and in 1395 Pope Boniface De granted the castle with the title of Count Giacomo Paolo Boscari from Foligno, who continued to keep the feud until 1435 even if in the meantime, Pope Eugene IV reconfirmed the vicariate Corrado III Trinci for symbolic tribute (it was said) of a falcon, a network and a hunting dog. It was under Corrado Trinci, namely 15 August 1434, that the 'Universitas Vallis Tupini et Villae Balciani, emaneted the Statutes. After 1439, with the fall of Trinci, Poggio began to elect its directors. This behavior gave rise to violent reactions caming from Foligno inhabitants that claimed possession, so that the same board was forced to seek the protection of the neighboring communities. On this occasion also Perugia citizens intervened, taking advantage of the situation, they tried by all means to take control, but succeeding only in 1495. It’s sure that in the same year, in addition to Poggio also Serra and Pasano were subject to Perugia, as well as Gallano castles. In 1560 upon the appointment of Pope Pius IV, the castle was given to Caesar and Octavian Bentivoglio accounts of Gubbio, who were its lords until 1616. After that date they were replaced by a mayor. In the following years, the news of the castle are fragmentary, but it’s surely known that it was municipal residence up to 1867, when the administration was moved permanently to Valtopina, also because of the opening of the railway station.
You might also like