Nocera Umbra

Duomo - Nocera Umbra

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 126 - 06034 Foligno
info@iat.foligno.pg.it
It’s the main church of Nocera and Mother Church of the former Dioceses of Nocera and Gualdo, until 1986.
It underwent different restorations. Placed on the top of the hill, it refers to the replacement of the pagan cult by the Christian worship: perhaps that was the original place hosting the temple devoted to the Goddess Favonia, from which derived the Tribe of the Nucerini Favonienses who lived together with the Nucerini Camellani (came here from Camerino) during the Umbrian and Roman epochs. The news of the two tribes dates back to Plinio (NH. III, 113). In the 5th century, when the Nocera dioceses was established, the temple was transformed into a church and devoted to Mary.
One of the remain of another restoration, that took place around the 10th century, is the Romanesque portal, located at the side entrance of the church, placed at the top of Via S. Rinaldo and enriched with a decoration in carved stonework of grape varieties and animals in the band of the archway. Another very probable remain of this cathedral is a massive cross in stone containing a hollowed cross that is preserved in the Diocesan Museum. After the destruction of Nocera by Federico II in 1248, the church was abandoned and only in 1448 it was rebuilt on its ancient foundations. 
The architecture had only one nave, with a cover made of arches and girders according to the Franciscan style (the same style is currently visible in the Church of St. Francis). The stone decorations of the main façade are a modern restoration dating back to 1925 (as described by the plaque on the wall).
Getting in from the secondary door (on via Rinaldo) there is a big nave with a semicircular apse. The restoration dates back to the start of the 19th century, in neoclassical style with columns, pilasters and vaults made of processed plaster.
[Source: www.nocerainumbria.it]