Sanctuary of the Madonna di Mongiovino - Panicale

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
The Sanctuary of Mongiovino or of the Madonna di Mongiovino is within walking distance of Panicale (about 7 kilometres) and just beneath the ancient Castle of Mongiovino. 

It was built in 1524 from Rocco from Vicenza to replace a more ancient chapel which preserved within it a miraculous picture of the Madonna.

The sandstone sanctuary has a Greek cross plant and an octagonal cupola supported at its interior by four pillars.

The portals of the building are also remarkable and are the work of the same Rocco, Giuliano from Verona, Bernardino from Siena and Lorenzo from Carrara.

The inside presents a square plant with four chapels on its corners and the main chapel preserving the miraculous painting.

Among the notable works there are the Deposition from the Cross by Arrigo Fiammingo, a Resurrection by Nicolò Pomarancio, the Coronation of Mary depicted on the cupola by Mattia Batini and other important sacred images including especially the miraculous image representing the Virgin with the Child dating from the 14th century.

Beyond the pictorial works particularly remarkable are also the main altar in stone and the terracotta statues located in the niches of the organ and executed by Bevignate from Perugia and Arrigo Fiammingo.