Ponte delle Torri bridge, Spoleto
It can be reached from Piazza Campello by heading down Via del Ponte, which runs alongside the wall of the Rocca Albornoziana fortress.
There is no certain information about its construction, which most likely occurred between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
Its present appearance dates back to the fourteenth century, when the entire area underwent profound changes as part of the building initiatives promoted by Cardinal Albornoz and designed by architect Matteo Gattapone. The bridge had a dual purpose: to unite the fortress (sant'Elia hill) to the Mulini fort (Monteluco) and at the same time transport water to the city from the Cortaccione springs.
The building mass is divided into nine pillars linked by pointed arches; the two highest pillars are towers and probably served as guard posts. The bases of the two pillars allude to a previous building (Roman period and XII century). Some of the arches were already demolished by 1390 and rebuilt in stone only in 1639; two others were completely rebuilt in brick in 1845.
The Ponte delle Torri bridge is one of the most important emblematic symbols of Spoleto; from which you can enjoy a splendid panoramic view over Monteluco.