The Holy Week in Umbria
The Holy Week in Umbria: among religion and popular tradition
Easter is celebrated in all parts of Umbria with special attention to the religious ceremonies, but without forgetting the moments of celebration.
The celebrations for the Easter’s Triduum in Umbria are several, encompass and involve every spot, from the small mountain’s village to the main cities. In every part of the region, you could participate in unique and special religious and non-religious rites rooted in the past of the territory.
- Assisi, 29th March – 1st April: Deposition of the Crucifix and Procession of Confraternities
- Bevagna, 30th March: Procession of the Dead Christ
- Città della Pieve, 1st and 2nd April: Living Pictures (Tableaux Vivants)
- Città di Castello, 30th March: Re-enactment of the Passion of the Dead Christ
- Fossato di Vico, 30th March: Historical Procession
- Gualdo Tadino, 30th March: Sacred Representation of the Good Friday
- Gubbio, 30th March: Procession of the Dead Christ
- Marmore, 30th March: Historical Re-enactment of the Passion of Christ
- Montefalco, 30th March: Re-enactment of the Passion of Christ and Sacred Representation
- Montone, 2nd April: Donation of the Holy Thorn – Celebration of the ancient County of Braccio da Montone
- Panicale, 30th March: Solemn Procession of the “Dead Christ”
- Piegaro, 29th March: Procession “Hecce Homo”
- Sigillo, 29th and 30th March: Trial of Jesus and Historical Procession
- Spello, 30th March- 3rd April: Authorial Stations of the Cross
- Terni, 30th March: Procession of the Dead Christ
- Umbrian Valley, 25th March – 2nd April: Religious celebrations and ancient traditions
- Valnerina, 30th March- 2nd April: Procession of the Good Friday
Other events among art, music and entertainment
- Città di Castello, 25th March: "The Passion of Christ" Concert
- Civitella del Lago (Baschi), 1st April – 1st May: National Exhibition-Competition of the Painted Egg
- Norcia, Cascia, Monteleone di Spoleto, 31st March – 2nd April: The Itinerary of Solidarity
- Orvieto, 22nd March: Easter’s Concert in the Cathedral of Orvieto
- Perugia, 30th March – 2nd April: Big Easter’s Fair
- Spoleto, 2nd April: Easter’s Concert – Two Worlds Festival
- Spello, 3rd April: "Festa de La Sbeccica"
On the Easter’s Sunday you will be able to participate in very funny festivals suitable both for adults and kids, taking place in different Umbrian squares: inhabitants will participate in an egg race (called in some places “Tocciata”, in other ones “Ciuccittu”). Players will arrange themselves at the centre of the square with a hard-boiled egg in their hands and will take turn in hitting the egg of the opponent. Those who will remain with an entire egg are going to continue the competition, whereas those who will have a broken egg will be out of the game. According to the tradition, who wins the competition will bring home the eggs of the defeated opponents and will share them with his family during the Easter’s banquet.
- Ferentillo, 1st and 2nd April: "Gara de Lu ciuccittu”
- Montefalco, 2nd April: "Gara della Ciuccetta”