Trevi

San Francesco Museum Complex

map thumbnail
The museum complex can be found in the old town centre of Trevi and houses the art collection of San Francesco and the Olive Oil Museum. 
The complex is housed inside the former convent of San Francesco, built in the 13th century and rebuilt and decorated in the first half of the 17th century, with an outer cloister frescoed by Bernardino Gagliardi with Stories from the life of St Francis..
On the ground floor, the archaeological section is presented in three rooms, showing Italic and Roman finds and grave goods from the Lombard necropolis of nearby Pietrarossa. The same floor houses a section dedicated to the city and region, with materials documenting their development.
The historical-artistic section on the upper floors, exhibits works that became part of the collection following the organisation of Church property after the unification of Italy. These are mostly 14th century panels and important paintings on canvas completed between the 16th and 18th centuries.
Among the most noteworthy works in the collection, there is the processional banner depicting the Madonna della Misericordia e Monogramma, completed in the second half of the 15th century by a follower of Niccolò Alunno, and The Coronation of the Virgin (1522), by Giovanni di Pietro, known as Lo Spagna, designed for the high altar of the Chiesa di San Martino.
The complex also includes the Olive Oil Museum, dedicated to PDO extra virgin olive oils, which is divided into four sections: "Botany"; "Getting to know olive oil and the olive tree"; "The olive tree: symbol of peace" and "History of the olive tree". Through information panels, multimedia, archaeological finds and oil machines, the museum documents the various aspects related to olive cultivation, which so strongly characterises the landscape of the surrounding hills and the economy of the entire region. A true journey, with audio guide, into the microcosm linked to olive oil production.