Fossato di Vico

Church of San Pietro

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
The Chiesa of San Pietro is the ancient church of Fossato, built originally as Monastery of Camaldolesi.
It was surely built before the "castrum", because as the main church it's not in the center of the castle, as expected according the architecture rule of the period in which the city was born. The church was carved into the rock to the east and north, above surmounted from the residence of the ancient monks (which can also be accessed from inside the church through a steep staircase still carved into the rock) and it overlooks a small square of a medieval features. This church was the largest cemetery of Fossatano territory from its origins up to 1870. In those years the church fallen in total abandonment due to the movement of Pievania to the Church of San Sebastiano, which absorbed some of its treasures.
Exactly a century later it has been restored and reopened to worship. 
There are some traces of frescoes, a tomb and other elements. Remarkable is the wonderful stone wash located below the church of St. Peter.
Fonte: Comune di Fossato di Vico