Piegaro

Church of the Madonna della Crocetta

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Gramsci 1 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The small church of the Madonna della Crocetta is situated on the road leading to the village of Piegaro.
It was presumably founded in the second half of the XVI century as the seat of the Brotherhood of Crocetta. Infact inside the churh its coat of arms, consisting of a small Greek cross, is a decorative element.  In 1851 the church underwent a major renovation which, however, did not alter the original appearance. Outside, the building is very simple presenting as only decorative element the bell tower and the central rose window in the facade. The interior has a single nave covered by a barrel vault interrupted by lateral sails. Inside they are remarkable the frescoes of the ceiling depicting the Assumption of the Virgin of XVI - XVII century.   Unfortunately today they are in a bad state of preservation.