Scheggia e Pascelupo

Abbazia di Sant’Emiliano in Congiuntoli

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
info@iat.gubbio.pg.it
Context: mountains
Dating: XIII CENTURY
The ancient abbey can be reached from the road that grows on the slopes of Catria Mount, starting from Scheggia and moving towards Sassoferrato; It is located at the confluence of Sentino river and the Freddo stream (Rio Freddo).
Infact it takes its name from Congiuntoli (conjunction). The Apennine scenery accompanies the path along which the interesting Abbey Sitria and that of Fonte Avellana  meet. The complex, in white stone, looks like an elegant building composed by the church and the monastery. The church has a rectangular plan with two aisles of different widths, separated by a row of massive octagonal columns supporting round arches. The presbytery is slightly raised above the nave, giving the church he  appearance of a hall , very common in buildings of preaching orders; this made visible both “officiatura” of the sacred rites that the figure of the preacher, who, with his voice and gestures must guide the believers. The façade has the eaves decorated with a series of stone brackets. Lancet windows illuminate the aisles. The building’s remains, in addition to the church, are represented by a number of monastic wagon roof nowadays transformed into residential and rural outbuildings, part of the cloister with porch covered with vaults and a tower that was probably used in defense of the complex. The church was probably built in 1286, the date carved on a plaque located inside the church, transforming the former chapel (1201): the apse was torn down and put in communication with the current church. The separation into two naves of different width is probably motivated by the desire to reserve the greatest one to the  monks inhabitants the abbey, through a door that leads out to the local interior of the abbey complex; the smaller one, that is open from the outside, to the few inhabitants of the area.