Theatre Cesare Caporali - Panicale
The Caporali Theatre stands in the historical centre of the village of Panicale and is worth a visit both for the elegance of its richly decorated interior structure and for the theatrical performances that are staged there. In fact, the theatre hosts the prose season of the TSU circuit, concerts and opera performances, events and conferences all year round. In short, an important cultural meeting point in the city.
The theatre's history has its roots in the '’Società filodrammatica’' founded in 1694 by a group of young Panicalesi. In 1786, the 'Società filodrammatica' merged into a new society called the 'Accademia Teatrale'. The 'Accademia Teatrale' had a small wooden theatre built by F. Tarducci, which was called the 'Teatro del Sole' because of its location.
In 1856, due to the progressive deterioration it had undergone, the theatre was enlarged and modified and given a new shape. The restoration project was entrusted to architect Giovanni Caproni who modified the structure by enlarging the stage, increasing the number of boxes and building a beautiful gallery with a cast iron railing above them. Alceste Ricci from Perugia was entrusted with the decorative project, which consisted of painting the wooden structure with a light varnish enriched with gilded stucco and festoons.