Palace of the Mayor - Città di Castello

Palace of the Mayor - Città di Castello

This public building was built by Angelo da Orvieto some years after the Municipality building, apparently commissioned by Tarlati of Pietramala and concluded in 1368. 

In this Palace the architect adopted different stylistic solutions by using smooth and squared Serena stones, as in the Gubbio buildings.

You can see worn ornaments and emblems of Mayors who ruled the city on the lunettes, above the portal of the ancient workshops. A small round window is placed above each door. The palace preserves intact just a façade looking towards Corso Cavour and a series of wonderful mullioned windows with a wide semicircular arch, on the noble floor. The façade looking onto piazza Matteotti was completely remade by Nicola Barbioni in 1687 and the loggia looking towards Piazza Fanti was built in 1620. This palace has a distinctive double clock with hours and minutes, as well as the quadrant of the compass rose located above them. 


Source: Città di Castello Tourist Information Office 
die Umgebung entdecken
Hauptattraktionen in der Nähe