Asset Publisher

Collegiata church of Santa Croce

Collegiata church of Santa Croce

In 1295 the Collegiata church of Santa Croce, situated in Piazza Mazzini, was built, together with a convent, by the order of Friars Minor. The convent was home for some time the Beato Corrado of Offida, a famous Franciscan preacher who died at Bastia in 1306, while he was announcing Advent. Following the Papal intention to close the small convents, the Friars Minor left the Church in 1653.

In 1788 the Collegiata Church of Santa Croce assumed the title of collegiate and parish church: in 1962 the seat of the parish was transferred to the church of San Michele Arcangelo.

The building has a facade covered in two colors of stone characteristic of Mount Subasio, with a gabled roof, central rose window and central portal with painted lunette by Domenico Bruschi (St. Helena between San Sebastiano and St. Michael, 1886). The church has a single nave, holding many works including the Altarpiece of Sant'Angelo (1499), by Nicholas Alunno; Madonna and Child with Angels (early sixteenth century) in the Umbria and Tuscany style; Madonna and Child with St. Luke the Evangelist (1510) by Tiberio of Assisi; Miracles of St. Anthony Abbot (17th century) by Cesare Sermei.

Domenico Bruschi was responsable for the decoration of the nave, the side chapels, the chancel and apse, executed in 1886; the stained glass windows (1903, 1923) are the work of the Moretti-Caselli family of Perugia.

Between 1835 and 1839 the bell tower, which rises to the right of the church, was built by architect Dominic Antonelli; this tower is not very high as its original height was later reduced by a third. It was damaged by the earthquake that struck Bastia in 1854. It preserves 5 electrified bells by Sini foundry of Acquapendente (VT) in 1847.

The mizzen bell, that is the second largest bell, was later recast by the foundry De Poli Vittorio Veneto (TV) in 1935; later even the smallest bell was recast in 2004, by the foundry of Castelnovo ne Monti (RE). They are used for the Angelus and for calling the masses of the church of San Rocco and St. Michael the Archangel parish. After the earthquake of 1997 the church had to undergo a lengthy restoration and the building officially opened for worship in 2012.

Explore the surroundings
Main attractions in the vicinity