Ponte Romano Spiano
The Spiano Bridge is located just outside Sigillo, is a structure made up of huge boulders that allowed the Fonturci stream to reach the ancient Flaminia Road.
It´s a masterpiece of the Roman art: some people attribute it to the second century B.C. and others to the Augustan age. Built of huge blocks of carnelian, it measures 32 m in length and 3.25 m in width at the top of the arch. This monument is emblematic of the old Roman “municipium”of Suillum (governed by the “duoviri”, together with the “quattuoviri” college of magistrates), as well as symbolizing the ancient and deep-rooted connection between the Tyrrhenian and the Adriatic Sea. The famous staging-post on the Via Flaminia, Helvillum, could be found within the territory of Suillum. From here, a branch road crossed the mountains and led on to Ancona. It remained in use for many centuries, until the beginning of the 1900’s and was known as the “Postiglione” (Postillion).
In the surrounding area