Monte del Lago - Magione
The history of a small village overlooking the lake: from the Middle Ages to the Belle Époque.
Monte del Lago is a small village perched on a promontory overlooking Lake Trasimeno, between Torricella and San Feliciano.
The first traces of what was once called Mons Fontegianus, date back to the 10th century, when the village was most likely part of the Pieve di San Giovenale, which disappeared in the year 1000. It is equipped with a defensive wall, erected only from 1312, when the Commune of Perugia, fearing an assault from Emperor Henry VII, promoted the reinforcement of the castles present along the lake shore. These included the Monte del Lago Castle, the Polvese Island Fortress, the Lion Fortress in Castiglione del Lago, the nearby Zocco Castle and the Castle of the Knights of Malta.
The castle of Monte del Lago soon represented a strategic place in the countryside during the modern age. In fact, during the Papal domination of the 16th century, it became the administrative seat of the Camera Apostolica, since the small promontory allowed the control of a large part of the lake basin and thus of the economic activity of the contado, founded in particular on the flourishing lake fishing.
ART, CULTURE, ENVIRONMENT:
The castle of Monte del Lago overlooks the eastern shore of Lake Trasimeno. Following the scenic route of its 14th-century walls, it is possible to admire the Porta Trasimena and visit the Church of S. Andrea, with a large fresco of the Crucifixion dominating the back wall, datable to the end of the 14th century and testifying to the fruitful season of late-Gothic painting around Lake Trasimeno. At the eastern entrance to the village is the Rocca, seat of the Camera Apostolica, equipped with prisons during the period of papal rule.