Stroncone

Convento di San Francesco

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
info@iat.terni.it
The Convent of St. Francis, founded according to the tradition by the same St. Francis in 1213, became in the 17th century an important centre of theological, historical and erudite studies.

Among the learned who worked in this century we can recall the theologian Friar Costanzo Malvetani, Friar Arcangelo Contessa and Friar Agostino Mattielli, the latter one can be considered one of the main Umbrian scholars and reporters of the 1600, thanks to its Umbria Seraphic and the Speech about the Stroncone land.

The enthusiasm for studies led the scholars of the Convent to build a Library, an indispensable instrument for their training and researches. In the following years the Library was enriched with several legacies and donations, so to create one among the richest Franciscan collections in Umbria.
Despite the several depletions, thanks to the isolation of the small Convent, many texts remained in their old location and it’s still possible to admire the Library in it original arrangement.

Source: Stroncone Tourism