Scheggia e Pascelupo

Abbazia di Santa Maria di Sitria

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
Context: mountains
The former abbey is situated in the natural park of Monte Cucco in a valley between Artino ditch and the slopes of Mount Catria, along the path that connects Scheggia to Fossara Island.
Currently the building has a Latin immissa crux plan ("T"), with a single nave. The presbytery is strongly raised and the semicircular apse completes the facility. At the right side of the transept, raised to make room for the crypt below, it opens a place designed to sacristy and a hall with a barrel vault. The church was built entirely of hewn stone. The nave roof consists of a barrel vault arched, resting on a shelf that runs along the outer walls; the apse, with a small central slot, has a bowl-shaped cover (there are traces of an eighteenth-century fresco). Inside it’s admirable an altar made of travertine of the thirteenth century, made of a stone supported by 14 slender columns connected by arches. The crypt, which is accessible by a narrow staircase at the base of the transept, is composed of a small room with an apse. The vaulted roof rests on a single monolithic column with a Corinthian capital (sixth century), probably coming from nearby buildings. The old hermitage, of which no trace remains, consisted of small stone cells and timber. According to historian Iacobilli, in 1017 the abbey was founded by San Romualdo who spent the last years of his life in complete seclusion. Over time, the abbey grew by engulfing many churches, but in the fourteenth century began a slow decline until (1450) was given commendation by Pope Nicholas V. The abbots took care of the restoration in the XVI century and lasted until 1810 when Pope Gregory XVI gave them to the nearby monastery of Fonte Avellana. In 1861 the abbey's assets were suppressed by the Italian government that committed them to private; the church became a farmhouse and the baptismal font was transferred to the Church of Fossara Island. Then the Abbey returned to the monks of Fonte Avellana who proceeded to restore it in 1972.