Church of San Costanzo in Perugia
Surrounded by a green ridge of pine trees, the Church of San Costanzo, one of the oldest of Perugia was upgraded to minor basilica by Pope Benedict XVI in 2008, it is situated to the southeast of the city in the quarter of Porta San Pietro, one of the five quarters in which the downtown is composed, named “the beautiful village” for its majesty and for its architectural vestiges treasure. This single – nave building, existing since 1027, was enlarged, consolidated and consecrated by the bishop Viviano in 1205.
Of those ancient times you can still admire the main door with two marble jambs adorned with some branches and some imaginary animals and the architrave with the Blessing Christ.
Other earthen elements coming from the Biscarini from Perugia furnace, among which a bas – relief representing an half – length San Costanzo, date back to 1889, year in which the Perugian architect Guglielmo Calderini rebuilt the church in neo – Romanesque style, by using for the outer shell the Assisi’s pink stone.
Always in Perugia were born Palazzo Bianchi and Palazzo Cesaroni, from the Calderini’s talent, one of the most important personality in the Italian architecture of the XIX century, but his celebrity has always been tied to two works: the planning and the realization of the quadrangle built in front of the Saint Paul’s Basilica outside the walls in Rome and, above all, always in the capital town of Rome, the Courthouse.