Piegaro

Church of the Madonna della Crocetta

map thumbnail


Fremdenverkehrsamt
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The small church of the Madonna della Crocetta is situated on the road leading to the village of Piegaro.
It was presumably founded in the second half of the 16th century as the seat of the Brotherhood of Crocetta. In fact,  its coat of arms, consisting of a small Greek cross, is a decorative element inside the church.  In 1851 the church underwent a major renovation which did not, however, alter the original appearance. Outside, the building is very simple presenting as only decorative element the bell tower and the central rose window in the facade. The interior has a single nave covered by a barrel vault interrupted by lateral sails. The ceiling frescoes depicting the Assumption of the Virgin and dating from the 16th - 17th century are worth noting.   Unfortunately, today they are in a bad state of preservation.