San Gemini

Chiesa di San Gemine - Duomo

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
Cathedral: 12th century
The building dates back to the late Gothic era and has been subject to various changes.
It was completely rebuilt between 1817 and 1847 according to the design of the Engineer Livoni, also using the recommendations of the sculptor Antonio Canova, who stayed in St. Gemini in the first years of 1800.
The façade, rather sober, presents a 15th century portal.
The interior, in neoclassical style, attributable to the neo-baroque architecture, preserves four canvasses of the early 1600: the Martyr of St. Sebastian, the Virgin with the Child and the Saint Bishop, St.Matteo the Evangelist and the canvas of the 18th century Ecstasy of St. Rita.
The urn containing the relics attributed to St. Gemine, Patron of the city, is preserved below the high altar and was found in 1775 into a walled niche adjoining the sacristy.