Church of San Francesco - Amelia
In 1447 the masters Francesco and Guglielmo di Lombardia built the bell tower. The masonry in stone tans square it is visible inside the bell tower, while to the outside there is another masonry,"to sack trimmed", as a lining, probably built in the Seven hundred one. Between the XVI and the XVII century, the church was renovated to build the choir; arches were erected which choked a chapel now desecrated.
The reconstruction of the sources of light in the apse and in the classroom is referred to this period. In the XVIII century the church was rebuilt, in fact the windows were raised higher than the eaves of the original crown. 1942 was last makeover at the hands of the Salesians, when the monastery was turned into a boarding school. The exterior of the church is in late Romanesque style, with Gothic influences, especially along the sides and in the apse wall. The simple and harmonious bill of blocks of finely carved travertine facade, worked by local stonemasons, dates back to 1401. It is divided into two sections by a notched frame; at the top there is a double concentric rose window and attic framing patterned lobed arches, which form the cusp. At the bottom it is the portal consisting of elements inserted in subsequent alterations (both the rose window that the portal would belong to the original thirteenth-century building). The bell tower, which was collapsed because of the earthquake in 1915, was rebuilt in 1932 by the engineer Gioacchino Santori.
The interior has a Latin cross. It's characterized by a vaguely baroque style and it was renovated in 1767. On the right it's remarkable the chapel dedicated to St. Anthony (by the Lombard Antonio Pini), with its original fifteenth appearance and six tombs of the noble Geraldini family, which already included the Matthew "Sepulchre and Elizabeth", a monumental work of Agostino di Duccio (1477). Above the entrance portal it's remarkable the beautiful eighteenth-century prospectus of the organ in the choir; the original mechanics was replaced in the fifties. In the entrance, to the left, near the scale of the access to the choir, there is a nice section of medieval fresco, recently surfaced.