Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral in Spoleto
The Cathedral of Spoleto, which is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, is located at the bottom of the outstanding Duomo Square, overlooking the Sixteenth Century Rancani Palace, (later renamed Arroni Palace), the Palazzo della Signoria, the octagonal Church of Santa Maria della Manna and the small Theater Caio Melisso.
Built in Romanesque style in the XII century over the ancient Church of Santa Maria in Vescovado, the Cathedral owns a majestic façade, which is made up of stone blocks and flanked by an impressive bell tower with a square plan.
The top of the façade is divided into two sections, overlapped by a cornice lying against blind arches.
In the upper order there are three rose windows and three large pointed niches; in the central niche, you can admire the Byzantine mosaic with Christ enthroned between Madonna and San Giovanni Evangelista (1207).
In the lower order alternates five rose windows. The central window, which is the largest, is rich in carvings and ornate mosaics and is flanked by the symbols of the four Evangelists.
Below, the Renaissance-style Portico, which was designed by Antonio Barocci, is made of five round arches with Corinthian columns in between.
At the entrance of the Cathedral, the magnificent portal (prior to 1198) is decorated in Romanesque-style.
The interior of the Church, radically transformed in the early XVII century, is in Baroque style and with a Latin cross plant with three naves of six bays each, a transept, a large semicircular apse and a dome, without tambour.
The nave's mosaic floor of the Romanesque Cathedral is still preserved and it was probably built in the XII century.
In the niche of the counter façade there is a bronze bust of Urbano VIII by Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1640).
A fresco with Madonna and the Saints by Pinturicchio decorates the apse of the first chapel of the right aisle.
In the right transept, within the altar, there is a painting by Annibale Carracci and, on the left wall, the sepulcher of Filippo Lippi painter (who died in Spoleto in 1469), which was designed by his son Filippino and built by an unknown XVI century Florentine sculptor.
To the right of the presbytery, there is the XVI century chapel of the Santissima Icona, named in this way for the presence of a XII century Byzantine tablet, which was donated to the city by Frederick Barbarossa as a "symbol of peace".
The apse is covered by beautiful frescoes by Filippo Lippi and his assistants, depicting stories of the Madonna (1467-1469).
At the center of the presbytery, the altar by Giuseppe Valadier (1792) is made of polychrome marble and flanked by four tall columns.
Finally, on the left aisle, the Chapel of the Relics still preserves XVI century
Wooden sculptures and inlays.
The Cathedral is closed in the middle of the day.
Winter season: 8.30am- 6 pm;
Summer season 8.30am-7 pm.