Castiglione del Lago

Sanctuary of the Madonna della Carraia

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The Sanctuary of the Madonna della Carraia, located along the road connecting the towns of Panicarola and Carraia, was built in the second half of the 17th century. 

The miraculous event that gave rise to the veneration dates to around 1659, and in 1660 the bishop of Città della Pieve, to which the diocese then belonged, Monsignor Lucarini Reginaldo, granted permission to build the church on the site where there was a sacred shrine with the image of the Virgin. The building, which has a Greek cross plan, with brick pillars and stone tympanums with a nineteenth-century dome and fan-shaped bell tower, was completed in 1835 by Giovanni Caproni.