The Prehistoric and Proto-historical sections, mainly consisting of stone tools collected in several localities of the region, offer an interesting panoramic picture of Umbria, from the Upper Paleolithic to the Iron Age. Two cinerary vases, dated from the latter period, testify the diffusion of the Villanovan Culture in the territory between Trasimeno Lake and Perugia. The section dedicated to Classical Archaeology opens with the reconstruction of two princely chariots, found on April 1912 near Castel San Mariano inside a tomb dating from the 6 century B.C. Then comes the section dedicated to Sanctuaries, simple enclosures or altars built along the main roads of communication and on top of the hills, dedicated to deities, protectors of health, the body, fertility, affluence and livestock breeding.
The Hellenistic period is represented by materials coming from the Etruscan Necropolises of Strozzacapponi and Fosso Rigo, with the reconstruction of three burial sites that have their funerary goods placed in the original position. The section ends with an interesting nucleus of items from the Roman period, represented by the finds coming from the Roman Villa of Palazzo Grande and the funerary goods from the so called "tombs a cappuccina", discovered in the area.
Via Cornaletto 4/c
06073 - Corciano (PG)
Fonte Regione Umbria - Servizio Musei e soprintendenza ai beni librari