"Anita Belleschi Grifoni" Tulle Museum - Panicale
Inaugurated in 2001, the Museo del Tulle "Anita Belleschi Grifoni" has its premises in the 1500s Church of Sant'Agostino, in Panicale, restored so that it could conserve and exhibit the numerous embroidered Tulle manufactured articles that had been spread around in private hands and in town churches.
Embroidery on Tulle was a needle activity, performed with material such as cotton and silk. It was already widespread starting from the first decades of the 19th century, thanks to the improvement in technique made by the English Heathcoat and Lurley, in 1809, with the introduction of a loom that mechanically produced Tulle, a very fine and vaporous netting fabric, which is light but at the same time very resistant. Tulle in fact is a fabric characterized by the typical machine made structure of interlaced fibers — producing small hexagonal designs — called "bobbinet", a perfect base for laces.