Scarzuola Convent and the Town of Tommaso Buzzi - Montegabbione
Tradition has it that its name comes from a thatched hut, which St Francis built himself during one of his peregrinations. A church and a Franciscan convent were built, by order of the noble Nerio di Bulgaruccio of the Counts of Montegiove, in this very-same place in 1282. In the apse, of the Santissima Annunziata Church, there is a fresco dating from the first half of the 13th century, depicting St Francis in Mystical Levitation. It is one of the early paintings depicting the Saint, and isn't yet part of the canons of the official iconography.