Don Aldo Rossi Museum - San Giuseppe Church Picture Gallery

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
The current museum, as a Paciano section of the museum system of the Archdiocese of Perugia-Città della Pieve, was born in collaboration with the Superintendent of Historical and Artistic Heritage of Umbria, by the desire to enhance and preserve pieces and memories of the community's past,as already conceived by Don Aldo Rossi in 1994.

Picture Gallery: (entrance in Pitalessa Street) Already hall of the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, where Francesco from Castel della Pieve, a painter from the same town of Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino, frescoed in 1452 a grand Crucifixion, behind commission of Andrea di Giovanni prior. A little later, in a side wall, a local painter frescoed a ruined although still visible Annunciation. 
In the great confraternity hall, some of the most important paintings still unaltered  were placed: the “Madonna del davanzale”, assigned to Bernardino di Mariotto (late XV century, an oil painting of the Annunciation of the early XVII century, two valuable paintings of “serviti order” of the XVII century  (the Madonna Addolorata and Madonna con Bambino e Santi); a third, also of the XVII century, with Dominican saints (all coming from St. Anthony convent) and two Saint Lucia paintings. 
A small section is dedicated to the pacianese Antonio Castelletti (1764-1840) with the Mysteries, an early work connected with the painting of the Madonna del Rosario, preserved in the parish and the processional Gonfalone Santa Bonosa, patroness of Paciano. The section ends with the reconstruction of the altarpiece of Antonio and Giovanni Sparapane and their two paintings depicting Santa Mustiola and St. Peter the Apostle (1475-78).

Museum: Inside St. Joseph's Church the spaces have been recently restored and intended to a new use. Immediately after the entrance to the church, also known as Santa Maria dell’Immacolata Concezione Church and in the Chapel of the Immacolata Concezione, the Banner of Madonna delle Grazie, made around 1470 by Benedetto Bonfigli, is located.  Down the nave, where in 2000 a number of votive frescoes dating back to the XV century (two bearing the date 1444 and 1449) depicting saints and Majesty have resurfaced, there are some wooden statues: St. Joseph dressed, of the XVII century, two Addolorate (XVII and XVIII century) and a XVII century Vergine of the Rosario, with real hair, the Nativity (end of the XVIII century) and a Jesus Child named dell'Aracoeli, in painted wax.  At the top, above the altar, the Crucifixion of the Bolognese school of the mid-eighteenth century is located. Inside the presbytery dominated by the delightful choir and framed by the two neoclassical columns, as well as some of the XVII and XVIII century reliefs (Angelo, Ecce Homo, Head of Christ and the Immaculate) and the statue of St. Joseph, placed in the altar niche, a number of exhibitors  are placed with precious ecclesiastical XVI-XVIII century furnishings: monstrance, chalices, pyxes, canteen, sprinkling and incense services, reliquaries, tabernacle, carteglorias, chandeliers and candlesticks. Among the glasses are reported great value finds as the one dated 1591 and the other two XVI century specimens. The painting depicting the Marriage of the Virgin by Francesco Appiani (1704-1792) is located here, in the space that has always hosted.  Passed the confraternity tables, it is possible to go up to the mezzanine, to the room of the archaeological finds, discovered after World War II near the archaeological ruins of Fonteboccio. In the next room some of the most significant sacred vestments of the territory are placed. A small opening inside the old bell tower introduces in the choir loft, where there is a valuable organ of Adam Rossi dated 1795.