Work began in 1339 and ended in 1424.
The rose window of the facade is remarkable. It's a work of masters from Como, and has 18 trefoil arches and 18 columns from central quatrefoil, where Mary and Child appear in glory. The portal opens splayed, with four columns on each side that support the pointed arch. The interior of the church is a Latin cross, with a trussed roof in place of the cross vaults that were damaged by the earthquake of 1703. On the sides three altars: the first one on the left is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, the second to Santa Rita, and on the third there is a canvas depicting St. Bartholomew, St. Peter and St. Paul. On the left, in the transept, there is a large exhibition altar that was a background to the central altar, painted in the late sixteenth century, the central painting of the Ascension by Pomarancio by Pomarancio, while the side paintings were attributed to Guido Reni and Perino Cesarei. On the right side of the transept there is a large painting of Christ with the Virgin and the Angels as they appeared to St. Francis in the Pornizucola (Assisi).