Umbertide

Octagonal church of Santa Maria della Reggia - Umbertide

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
info@iat.citta-di-castello.pg.it
The church of Santa Maria della Reggia is in Umbertide at Piazza Mazzini, past the bridge over the river Reggia.
This majestic building with an octagonal exterior and circular interior was begun in 1559 on a plan by Galeazzo Alessi and Giulio Danti, continued by Bino Sozi and concluded by Bernardino Sermigni in 1663. Sixteen columns support the entablature on which the 40-metre high dome rests. Behind the high altar is a fifteenth-century fresco of the Madonna with Child and two Saints, showing the influence of Gubbio; above the organ gallery is the Transfiguration by Nicholas Circignani, signed and dated (1578).