Chiesa di San Domenico
The church of San Domenico in Narni, located along via Mazzini, is reputed to have been built on the site of an ancient temple dedicated to Minerva.
Built in the 12th century, the church was originally the town's ancient cathedral dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta.
It took the name of San Domenico in 1304, when it was assigned to the monks of this order with a Papal bull.
The gabled façade has a rather heterogeneous appearance, having been changed numerous times.
The splendid entrance portal with a marble frame is covered in bas-reliefs depicting plant swirl motifs enclosing clipei with busts of the apostles and under the cornice is decorated with human and animal protomes (sculptures) dating back to the Romanesque period.